Storm Watch: 50 people waiting out storm in shelters

admin
So far, about 50 people have sought refuge at shelters across the island, Chief Shelter Warden and Chief Education Officer Karen Best disclosed this evening.
“We have never had that number,” said Best who was providing an update to the media at the National Emergency Operations Centre.
She noted that on previous occasions, between two to three people would go to shelters and most would be empty.
From left, Acting Education Minister Senator Lucille Moe and Chief Shelter Warden and Chief Education Officer Karen Best.
Best and Acting Education Minister Senator Lucille Moe spent the day touring shelters to inspect their readiness.
Senator Moe said they had to make changes since one or two shelters could not be used as Category 1 shelters but she was satisfied with conditions at the facilities.
She urged Barbadians who needed to go to a shelter to do so now.
“It is better to go before the bad weather actually is here, then to try to go there during that time,” Senator Moe said.
Meanwhile, Chief Executive Officer of the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association Rudy Grant said that all visitors to the island’s hotels were accounted for and safe.
Chief Executive Officer of the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association Rudy Grant.

The post Storm Watch: 50 people waiting out storm in shelters appeared first on Barbados Today.

Next Post

TS DORIAN: 8 pm update - Nation News

TS DORIAN: 8 pm update  Nation NewsEastern Caribbean hunkers down as Tropical Storm Dorian bears down on Barbados  MarketWatchTropical Storm Dorian Menaces Barbados, Could Become A Hurricane Tuesday  NPRAs Dorian churns to...