Off to jail

admin

A 20-year-old man who allegedly robbed a 15-year-old schoolboy last Friday was jailed today after he breached a court order.

Rawle Anthony Caesar, who has no fixed place of abode, is accused of robbing the 15-year-old of a $200 bracelet and a $200 bangle on October 6. He was not required to plead to the offence as it is alleged that a firearm was used during the crime.

However, it was not that charge that landed him in jail today but one which occurred on June 9 when he robbed another schoolboy of a $300 cellular phone.

Station Sergeant Glenda Carter-Nicholls said the victim was walking along Montrose Road, Christ Church around 3 p.m., when two men approached him.

The men grabbed him, with one pushing his hand in the child’s pocket. The schoolboy held onto his pocket but subsequently released it after being cuffed in the stomach. The culprits then ran away while the boy who informed his parents of the situation was taken to the police station.

Caesar was detained earlier this week and interviewed, but denied any knowledge of the incident. However, the boy picked him out in a police identification parade yesterday.

“I was there but I didn’t rob him. I didn’t take the cellular phone and I don’t know where the phone went but I plead guilty because I was there,” Caesar told Magistrate Elwood Watts in the Oistins Magistrates’ Court today.

“Hog is pork,” Watts replied, explaining to Caesar that he was part of a joint enterprise.

“It is the same thing as if you did the deed yourself,” the magistrate added.

As a result of today’s guilty plea, Caesar, who was handed a suspended prison sentence on February 8 last year for theft, will have to spend the next six months behind bars.

He was also ordered to compensate the schoolboy for the $300 phone by October 16 or he will have to spend an extra month at HMP Dodds.

A family member who was present in court today assured the magistrate that the money would be paid by then.

Caesar returns to court on November 8  in connection with the October 6 offence. The prosecutor revealed that another man was being sought in connection with that case.

Next Post

Mall thief gets one year at Dodds

A 49-year-old St Michael man began a one-year sentence at HMP Dodds today for burglarizing the Massy Dome Mall and stealing two blowers and a weed whacker. When Owen Gilbert Skeete of Block 13C, Down Hill Drive, Eden Lodge appeared before Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant today, he admitted to entering a […]