Work to resume on Terminal


After taking a break for the Christmas holiday, employees of the Ministry of Transport and Works were expected to resume work this week on the new $4 million River Bus Terminal.

Minister of Transport and Works Michael Lashley made this disclosure on Sunday night while addressing a meeting of the St Michael East branch of the Democratic Labour Party (DLP) at St Giles Primary School, The Ivy, St Michael.

Lashley told supporters that Government was driven to construct the new facility because for too long minibus operators and commuters have had to contend with deplorable conditions in the existing terminal.

“Sun and rain, poor drainage, lack of facilities in terms of washrooms, commuters had to endure it. I said to the Minister of Finance – I have gone on many occasions to the River Terminal, I would have travelled on minibuses, I would have passed through the same River Terminal. There is the old Queen’s College building which engineers found to be in good condition and could be utilized. I said, ‘let us use this building as part of the new River Terminal and then we can expand it at a cost of $4 million,’” the St Philip North MP told his audience which included DLP General Secretary George Pilgrim and Director of the Rural Development Commission Randolph Outram.

Lashley disclosed that during the execution of the project, some of the vendors’ stalls would have to be moved but he gave owners the assurance that they would be relocated so they could continue to carry on their business.

“We are going to ensure that the project is completed because for too long, route taxi workers, minibus workers and the travelling public have had to endure conditions that are not fit for human beings to be working and travelling in. Stalls in the stand without running water; no washroom facilities, bad drainage and poor lighting,” the minister remarked.

He revealed that during the second phase of the project Government would look at infrastructural work such as proper drainage and lighting and that several operators had told him they were willing to work later hours once proper lighting was installed.

Next Post

Narrow escape

The acceptance of his apology by a court marshal and the pleadings of an attorney allowed Antonio Renaldo Heallis to narrowly escape going to prison today. Heallis, of Liverpool Road, Brittons Hill, St Michael denied intentionally damaging a door belonging to Peter Lewis last September 16 but pleaded guilty to […]